USMNT Midweek Viewing Guide: The Champions Are Back
While there is no Champions League action this midweek, we still have 47 notable players from USMNT and other Americans in action, by my calculations! Christian Pulisic could make his return from injury for, and he will be joined by Sergiño Dest, Weston McKennie, Brenden Aaronson, Konrad de la Fuente, Yunus Musah and many more. It’s a Carabao Cup week in England, and several other top European leagues are hosting league games, in addition to MLS action.
Let’s get into it!
- RB Leipzig v Club Brugge, 3p on Paramount +, fuboTV (free try): Tyler Adams and Leipzig took a 3-0 Man City shellacking at the Etihad in their Champions League opener. They return home to welcome Brugge in what will be their easiest group stage clash, at least on paper. Owen Otasowie struggled early in Brugge, benching twice while being excluded three times in his league and being excluded from both Champions League sides.
Also in action:
- Schweinfurt v Bayern II, 1p: Taylor Booth has made a regular debut for Bayern II in the Regionalliga, after not being loaned out this summer. He played for the reserves, who lead the table in their attempt to return to Germany’s third tier after being relegated last season.
- Huddersfield vs. Blackburn Rovers, 2: 45p: Duane Holmes has played regularly for Huddersfield, who started strong but lost their last two.
- Preston North End vs. Stoke City, 2: 45p: Matt Olosunde has yet to dress for his new club, Preston, due to an injury.
- Cambridge United v Gillingham, 2: 45p: Charlie Kelman made his first three appearances with Gillingham on loan, scoring in his debut, but did not come off the bench on Saturday.
- PSG against Manchester city, 3p on Univision, TUDN, Paramount +, fuboTV: Expect Zack Steffen on the City bench against Messi, Neymar and Mbappé in Paris. City beat Leipzig 3-0 in their Champions League opener, while PSG were only able to draw a draw in Brugge.
- Borussia Dortmund v Sporting CP, 3p on Paramount +, fuboTV: Gio Reyna is unlikely to play for Dortmund as they host Sporting CP in the Champions League.
- Necaxa vs. Tijuana, 6p on TUDN, fuboTV: Alex Zendejas and Fernando Arce welcome the Xolos. Zendejas played every minute until Necaxa’s last game, playing a central midfielder role.
- Atalanta vs young boys, 12:45 p: Jordan Pefok and Young Boys make the trip to Atalanta, after scoring 3 points at home against Manchester United in their Champions League opener.
- Benfica v FC Barcelona, 3p: Sergiño Dest and Barca will look to improve after being hampered at home by Bayern in their Champions League opener.
- RB Salzburg – LOSC Lille, 3p: Fast-paced action as Tim Weah and Lille travel to Austria to face Brenden Aaronson and Salzburg.
- Wolfsburg-Sevilla FC, 3p: John Brooks and Wolfsburg host Sevilla after drawing Lille in their first game.
- Juventus v Chelsea, 3p: Christian Pulisic has already been excluded from Chelsea’s clash with Juventus (and his USMNT teammate Weston McKennie).
- Atlanta united v Inter Miami, 7p on (ESPN + (free try): Miles Robinson, George Bello and Brad Guzan take on Robbie Robinson.
- FC Montreal v New England Revolution, 7p: Matt Turner will try to prevent more assists from Djordje Mihailovic in this one.
- FC Dallas v Sports KC, 8p: The Huntsmen showcase some of the best young talent in MLS, including Ricardo Pepi, Jesús Ferreira, Paxton Pomykal and Justin Che.
- Columbus’ crew against Cruz Azul, 8p: Gyasi Zardes and MLS champion Columbus take on Liga MX champions Cruz Azul in the Campeones Cup.
- San José earthquakes v Seattle Sounders, 10:30 p.m.: Cristian Roldan and Josh Atencio, who impressed the Sounders, face a San Jose team with Cade Cowell and Jackson Yueill. Jordan Morris is getting closer to the return of his Sounders.
Also in action:
- Barnsley v Nottingham Forest, 2: 45p: Ethan Horvath is looking for more play time with Forest.
- Fulham v Swansea City, 2: 45p: Antonee Robinson and Tim Ream are looking to continue their early-season form, having lost 2 of 4 in a slight drop.
- Bayern Munich against Dynamo Kiev, 3p: Malik Tillman and (unlikely) Taylor Booth could be part of Bayern’s Champions League squad as they host Kiev.
- DC United v Minnesota united, 7:30 p.m.: His teammates Paul Arriola and Kevin Paredes could compete for a winger spot on the October list.
- New York Red Bulls v Philadelphia Union, 7:30 p.m.: Caden Clark and John Tolkin take on young Philly Leon Flach, Anthony Fontana, Quinn Sullivan, Jack McGlynn and Paxten Aaronson.
- Atlanta United II v Louisville City, 7:30 p.m.: Jonathan Gómez and Louisville have 8 points in their last 4 games, and Gomez had an assist on Sunday against Memphis.
- Chicago fire v NYCFC, 8p: Young goalie Gabriel Slonina welcomes James Sands and Keaton Parks to Windy City.
- Nashville SC v City of Orlando, 8:30 p.m.: Can Walker Zimmerman stop Daryl Dike from scoring?
- Colorado Rapids vs Austin FC, 9p: Kellyn Acosta and Cole Bassett welcome the Verdes to Denver.
- Real salt lake v The Galaxy, 9:30 p.m.: Sebastian Lletget and Julian Araujo meet Aaron Herrera at Rio Tinto stadium.
- Querétaro vs. Chivas, 10:15 p.m.: Bryan Olivera starts regularly for Querétaro, both on the wing and in midfield. He has had 1 assist so far at the start of Apertura’s season. Joe Gallardo has benched 3 times but has yet to play.
- LAFC v Portland Wood, 10:30 p.m.: Tomás Romero and LAFC will try to prevent the Timbers from scoring in their stadium.
- Lyon vs Brøndby IF, 12:45 p.m.: Christian Cappis and Brøndby have a strong enemy in the Europa League.
- Marseille against Galatasaray, 3p: Konrad de la Fuente and Marseille welcome DeAndre Yedlin and Galatasaray in the European League.
Also in action:
- Sturm Graz vs. PSV Eindhoven, 12:45 p.m.: PSV continues its Europa campaign without Richie Ledezma.
- Antwerp vs Frankfurt, 12:45 p.m.: Timmy Chandler and Frankfurt face Antwerp in the Europa League. Antwerp is deprived of Sam Vines due to a serious injury.
- Zorya v Rome, 12:45 p.m.: Bryan Reynolds is trying to find his way into José Mourinho’s plans with this Europa League game.
- Celtic against Bayer Leverkusen, 3p: Cameron Carter-Vickers will face a quick Bundesliga attack in this Europa game.
- Ferencváros v Real Betis, 3p: Henry Wingo faces a La Liga opponent in Europe.
- Genk against Dinamo Zagreb, 3p: Mark McKenzie and Genk are at home in Zagreb, Europe.
- Union Berlin against Maccabi Haifa, 3p: Josh Cohen and Haifa are in Conference League action.
- Omonia Nicosia vs Qarabag, 3p: Mix Diskerud and Omonio welcome Qarabag to the Conference League.
That’s it! Am I missing something? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who’s impressing this week!