Midweek USMNT Viewing Guide: Super Wednesday
While there is no Champions League action midweek, we still have 47 notable Americans in action, by my calculations! Christian Pulisic could make his return from injury for Chelsea FC, and he will be joined by Sergiño Dest, Weston McKennie, Brenden Aaronson, Konrad de la Fuente, Yunus Musah and many more. It’s a Carabao Cup week in England, and several other top European leagues are hosting league games, in addition to MLS action.
Let’s get into it! Here’s a look at the USMNT players in action. Injured players are highlighted in red, national doubles in blue.
- Rizespor against Altay, 10a: Tyler Boyd notched his first assist for Rizespor on Saturday, but the club lost their third consecutive assist; they occupy the bottom of the leading Turkish table.
- Helsingør v Odense, 11:45 a: Emmanuel Sabbi played at least 73 ‘in the 9 OB league games at the start of the season. OB face second division team Helsingør in the Danish Cup.
- Fulham v Leeds United, 2:45 p.m. on ESPN +: Antonee Robinson and Tim Ream loved life in the league, but they face a Premier League foe in this Carabao Cup draw. Jedi has his first goal at Fulham in their last Carabao Cup match.
- Manchester city v Wycombe Wanderers, 2:45 p on ESPN +: Zack Steffen has not been in the City squad since August due to coronavirus; but is expected to start in this Carabao Cup clash with Wycombe.
- Norwich City v Liverpool, 2:45 p.m. on ESPN +: Josh Sargent made his Premier League debut on Saturday against Watford; the Canaries welcome Liverpool to Carrow Road in this Carabao Cup match. Sargent scored 2 goals and added an assist as Norwich beat Bournemouth 6-0 in their last Carabao Cup game.
Also in action:
- Karagümrük v Antalyaspor, 10a: Haji Wright scored against Beşiktaş on Saturday, scoring 4 goals in 5 games for Antalyaspor, after a hat trick against Rizespor on August 27.
- Schwaz vs. St. Pölten, 12:30 p.m.: Uly Llanez played in 5 of 6 for St. Pölten. They face the third Schwaz in the Austrian Cup.
- Preston North End vs. Cheltenham Town, 2:45 p.m.: Matt Olosunde has yet to play for Preston this season due to injury; they face Cheltenham in the Carabao Cup.
- Gillingham v Charlton Athletic, 2: 45p: Charlie Kelman and Gillingham take on Charlton in League One action.
- Spezia v Juventus, 12:30 p.m. on Paramount +: Weston McKennie is under 120 ‘in 4 league games for Juve to start the season. The Bianconeri trip to Liguria for this one.
- Lille v Reims, 1p on beIN Sports, fuboTV (free try), Fanatiz, Sling TV: Tim Weah got 28 ‘off the bench on Saturday after returning from injury. It’s a difficult start for Lille in Ligue 1; they will be looking for 3 points at home against Reims.
- RB Salzburg v Kalsdorf, 1p: Brenden Aaronson and Salzburg face Kalsdorf in Austrian Cup third division, after Aaronson scored a great goal Sunday. Salzburg have won the Cup three times in a row and eight times out of ten.
- Sevilla vs Valencia, 1:30 p.m.: Yunus Musah had a great performance against Real Madrid Sunday, although he was involved in the last winner of Real.
- Chelsea v Aston Villa, 2:45 p.m. on ESPN +: It is not clear if Christian Pulisic will be ready to return for Chelsea in this Carabao Cup game, after running out of time due to injury.
- AC Milan v Venezia, 2: 45p on Paramount +: Gianluca Busio got a set-piece aid for Venezia’s only goal on Sunday, but they allowed a goal in stoppage time to lose to Spezia. Tanner Tessmann has been on the bench for Venezia’s last 3 games, having been substituted in two games at the end of August.
- Angers v Marseille, 3p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: Konrad de la Fuente is one of the best young goal-makers in Ligue 1 since his arrival in Marseille. Olympique is second in Ligue 1, and could get closer to 2 points from PSG with a victory.
- real Madrid v Mallorca, 4p on ESPN +: Matthew Hoppe scored a nice goal for Mallorca on his La Liga debut, only to be declared offside. 22 days after his transfer from Schalke to the 2. Bundesliga, he will face Real Madrid at the Bernabéu.
- Chicago fire v New England Revolution, 7:30 p.m. on ESPN +: Matt Turner will be in the net for the Revs, who have a fifteen point lead in the East and a ten point lead across the league.
- New York Red Bulls v NYCFC, 8p on ESPN +, fuboTV: Caden Clark and John Tolkin welcome James Sands and Keaton Parks to the Hudson River Derby.
- Seattle Sounders v León, 10p on ESPN2, TUDN, UniMás, fuboTV, Sling TV: Cristian Roldan, Stefan Frei and Josh Atencio will host León, Guardianes champion 2020, in the League Cup final.
Also in action:
- Lausanne v Young Boys, 12p: Jordan Pefok will come into force in this Swiss league game after mark the winner against Ronaldo’s Man United last week and his club after a 7-1 spanking against Iliria in a Cup game on Sunday.
- Montpellier v Bordeaux, 1p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: Niko Gioacchini obtained the late help for Montpellier on Sunday to draw a draw with Troyes.
- Kayserispor vs. Galatasaray, 1p on Fanatiz: DeAndre Yedlin started 3 in a row for Galatasaray which is good as he only got 90 ‘for them the whole month of August.
- Maccabi Haifa vs. Hapoel Beer Sheva, 1: 15p: Josh Cohen and Haifa compete in the Toto Cup final; Haifa has not won the Cup since 2012-13.
- Espanyol against Deportivo Alavés, 1h30: Matt Miazga started 2 of 3 for Alavés, who occupy the bottom of La Liga with 0 of 4 points and a goal differential of -9.
- Fehervar against Ferencváros, 2p: Henry Wingo and Ferencváros will be looking for a victory to move up to second place in the Hungarian standings; they have 2 matches in hand on the 2 teams above them.
- Arsenal v Wimbledon, 2: 45p: Folarin Balogun has not been part of the Gunners’ first team since August 22, but has put wild numbers in his two U23 games so far this year.
- Antwerp v Genk, 2: 45p: Mark McKenzie will look for the start as Genk takes on Antwerp, who misses Sam Vines with an injury.
- Lyon v Troyes, 3p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: One downside to being part of a loan army is the lack of physical fitness, which seems to have kept Erik Palmer-Brown from making the Troyes squad for the day. U.S.-eligible CB Philippe Sandler made a 12-minute appearance on Sunday.
- HFX Wanderers v FC Montreal, 5p on FS2, fuboTV, Sling TV: Djordje Mihailovic and Mason Toye propel Montreal forward in this quarterfinal of the Canadian Championship.
- Inter Miami v Nashville SC, 7:30 p.m. on ESPN +, nashvillesc.com: Walker Zimmerman will try to contain Robbie Robinson and Inter Miami.
- Cambuur vs. Heracles, 12:45 p.m.: Luca de la Torre continues to start regularly for Heracles. He played well and pulled a red card foul on AZ to help secure a big win on Sunday.
- Allerød v Brøndby, 1: 45p: Christian Cappis has played in Brøndby’s 7 league games for which he has been available this year. Brondby faces fourth division team Allerød in the Danish Cup.
- AS Rome v Udinese, 2: 45p on Paramount +: Bryan Reynolds has played the same number of minutes (2) as the number of times he has been excluded from the Roma squad this year.
- Celtic v Raith Rovers, 2:45 p: Cameron Carter-Vickers is off to a good start with Celtic, starting both league games and scoring one goal in his debut. He came down to earth in their 4-3 loss to Real Betis in the Europa League, as he was involved in all 4 Betis goals.
- Paços de Ferreira vs. Boavista, 3:15 p.m.: Reggie Cannon has yet to make Boavista’s squad this season, in what turns into a nightmarish club situation. These two clubs are tied on points after six games; they meet in the Coupe de la Ligue.
- Cadiz v Barcelona, 4p on ESPN +: Sergiño Dest has been consistent at Barca’s right-back, starting 3 of their 5 La Liga games and replacing another. He missed a league game against Sevilla with injury and remained on the bench for his 0-3 Champions League embarrassment against Bayern Munich.
Also in action:
- Pachuca vs Necaxa, 10p on TUDN, fuboTV: Alex Zendejas has played every minute for Necaxa in the Liga MX Apertura so far, and has 4 goals in 9 games.
That’s it! Am I missing something? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who’s impressing this week!