Iran condemns Israel’s ‘racist actions’ in West Bank
TEHRAN – Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh reacted to recent Israeli moves in Jerusalem and the West Bank that have stoked tensions between Palestinians and Israelis.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said “Khatibzadeh condemned the racist actions of the Zionist regime in forcing Palestinian residents of the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in the occupied West Bank to leave their homes.”
Khatibzadeh expressed his solidarity with the Palestinian people as the main and true inhabitant of this ancient land and cradle of divine religions.
Khatibzadeh stressed the need to support the Palestinian people and called for an end to the destruction of their homes and the confiscation of their land, which is a continuation of the apartheid policy of the child-killing Zionist regime. .
The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson called on the global community and international organizations to respect their legal and humanitarian commitments in this regard.
Jerusalem’s well-known neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah (al-Quds) has been the scene of clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians since last week. The new wave of clashes began when far-right Knesset member Itamar Ben Gvir, accompanied by dozens of Jewish settlers, stormed into the neighborhood to set up a parliamentary office.
A member of the far-right Religious Zionism party, Ben Gvir has contributed to aggravating the situation, according to Israeli media. He made a “substantial contribution” to the clashes that erupted in the neighborhood, a police source told Israel‘s Channel 12 TV.
Earlier this month, an elderly Palestinian man died in Israeli custody. He was detained by Israeli troops at a checkpoint in the West Bank and was later found dead. An autopsy conducted by three Palestinian doctors revealed that the man had died of cardiac arrest after a stress-induced heart attack resulting from “external violence”, according to the Associated Press.
A young Palestinian from the village of Kafr Ein, north of Ramallah, was shot dead by the Israeli army at the entrance to the village of Al-Nabi Saleh.
On February 8, an Israeli force murdered three Palestinians in the Al-Makhfieh neighborhood of Nablus after shooting at a Palestinian vehicle they were traveling in.
Sources told Al-Mayadeen that the Hamas movement held talks with Egyptians about the recent Israeli attacks in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood.
The sources said that Hamas has informed the Egyptian side that what is happening is an “escalation of danger which cannot be tolerated”, and that the occupation government is “again playing with fire”.
Hamas has confirmed that the expulsion of Palestinians from the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood is a “red line that the resistance knows how to answer”. In turn, the Palestinian factions have confirmed that they “will not leave the neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah alone”.
On Sunday, a Hamas leader warned that to touch Jerusalem is to play with fire.
The movement’s deputy leader in the Gaza Strip, Khalil al-Haya, said “the occupation must choose between fire or peace”.
He added: “Gaza is always ready to defend our people with all their might.”