Gantz: Israeli officials ‘revisiting’ West Bank fence issues
“This fence, even when it was built, was not intended to prevent the movement of terrorists”
After last week’s deadly terror attack in Bnei Brak, Israeli Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi visited the area where the shooter entered Israel from the West Bank.
The shooter, who killed five people on March 29, entered Israel through a hole in the security fence wide enough for a car to pass through.
“We will continue and we will act in every way to stop terrorist attacks. This is our mission,” Kochavi said, according to Haretz.
However, Defense Minister Benny Gantz said in an interview with ynet Sunday that the military has not prioritized guarding the fence, and is instead focusing on “other areas where the risk factor is much higher and the freedom of action is much lower.”
“Yet these days we are re-examining the whole question of the fence, and we will try to start [repairing the barrier], in stages, according to a list of priorities,” Gantz said. “But there are many other threats that Israel and I have to deal with.”
Security officials said Ha’aretz that it is “no coincidence” that Israeli leaders have not pledged to seal the movement of people entering Israel from the West Bank.
“This fence, even when it was first built, was not intended to prevent the movement of terrorists who planned to carry out an attack in Israel. Whoever wants to leave will succeed,” a defense official said, adding that they outwit the terrorists using intelligence from the Shin Bet (domestic security service), hoping the arrest will come before they reach fence.